What Parents Need to Know About Instrumental Music
- Band classes meet twice a week on a rotational basis. A schedule is posted in the school and each student is given his/her own schedule in their book. Students are responsible for getting to band classes at the scheduled time. Students are also responsible for making up missed work in the regular classroom while they are attending band classes.
- Each music student must purchase a Band or Strings books. All Band students need to purchase Accent on Achievement, (Book 1), by O’Reilly/Williams, published by Alfred. All Strings students need to purchase Essential Elements for Strings EEi, (Book 1), by Michael Allen, published by Hal Leonard. These books can be purchased at school or at the music store of your choice. The books (with a folder) will cost $10.00 if you buy them at school. If you make this purchase through school, please pay by cash or a check payable to your elementary school.
- All students must Practice to learn how to play a musical instrument. It is advised that students practice 10-30 minutes at least 4 times a week. A practice record will be checked by the teacher to reinforce good practice habits in the beginning stages of learning how to play an instrument. Students will receive a progress report 4 times a year.
- All students need to supply a wire music stand for home practice. Woodwind students need to supply reeds for their instrument, and brass students need to supply valve oil for their instruments. All Strings students must supply strings, shoulder rest, and rosin for their instruments. These items can be purchased at the music store of your choice. At MHES/SES clarinet reeds are available at school for $2.00 & and alto sax reeds are available for $2.50.
- You can participate in Band and Strings from grades 4-12.
- Email for Mrs. Gross: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please see pdf file below for more information about your child participating in Instrumental Music this year.